The new partnership of Ralph Modjeski and Frank Masters was retained by the Harrisburg Bridge Company to study capacity and safety improvements to the existing 2 lane bridge. Of the three proposed structure types, the stone-faced concrete arch option was selected due to its extensive lifespan, cost-effective maintenance, and stately appearance. The partnership also enlisted the assistance of Paul Philippe Cret, a renowned architect and partner on many bridge designs, to help complete aesthetic elements of the design.
Construction on the bridge began in 1926 with the goal of widening the overall structure to four travel lanes (with two sidewalks) while disrupting traffic as little as possible. The process involved multiple intricate construction sequences on both the west and east channel piers and bridge spans. After lengthening and strengthening piers on both channels, half-width of the new east channel arch spans were constructed and traffic was shifted to these spans. Next, the original spans from the east channel were floated and reinstalled alongside the existing spans on the west channel. Finally, the remaining width of the new east channel arch spans were constructed. The overall process would take two years to complete.
On April 25th, 1928, the newly completed Market Street Bridge was opened to traffic.
As part of a project team, M&M is the lead structural engineer for the ongoing rehabilitation of the arch bridge components and replacement of the existing deck. M&M also recently completed a load rating analyses using LUSAS 3D finite element software, a deck type study, an expansion joint elimination study, and a remaining service life evaluation. The purpose of this $63.8 (est.) project is to maintain safe and efficient multimodal connectivity across the Susquehanna River between Harrisburg and the West Shore communities, as well as access to City Island and its amenities.