Ralph Modjeski was appointed to the Government Board of Engineers whom took over the mis-managed Quebec Bridge project from a private entity. Initially his charge was to assist with the analysis on the collapse of the initital bridge. He then focused on the design of the new structure.
The recommended redesign for the Quebec Bridge was accepted and construction commenced on the substructure of the new bridge. Shown in this photo are members of the Board of Engineers standing in one of the newly fabricated truss members. At the time of this photo, the Board of Engineers consisted of Ralph Modjeski, Charles Monsarrat, and Charles Schneider.
One of the most complex operations of the entire construction process is completed with the successful lifting of the main span.
The first train crosses the Quebec Bridge on October 17, 1917 (pictured at left). The bridge was and is still the longest cantilever truss bridge in the world. The Prince of Wales presides over the formal opening of the Quebec Bridge on August 22, 1919 (pictured at right).